Commission Information FAQs
I always get excited by a new project, and it is my goal that you will come to feel a real part of the creation
of your special sculpture!
If you are interested in having a piece designed specifically for you and your space, here are some facts about how the commission process works:
- The first thing we will do is sit down together (or online) and confer about ideas you have for your future sculpture - photos and other reference materials, etc., as well as those I have.
- We will use reference materials to narrow down a pose/attitude, habitat elements. etc.). elements and what is appropriate for the chosen species to stand on (branch/ root, soil, rock, ??).
- We will talk about your budget for the project and an approximate timeline.
- We will discuss the various aspects that pertain to the sculpture: approx finished size for the piece, the size of the limited edition that I will be able to be produced from the mold (I retain all copyrights on my work), the kind of patina (coloration) you think you will want on the finished piece, plus any other wants or issues either of us can think of.
- Using this information, I will then create sketches for the project, trying to incorporate what we have discussed and envisioned together.
- We will meet again to discuss the sketches and talk about any alterations you would like to see.
- Once we have agreed upon the final design, I will assemble quotes for production costs, and come up with a price quote for you.
- At that point, we will discuss any alterations that need to be made to the original plan. If we agree to move forward, I will draw up a standard contract between us, noting all the things we have discussed. (This protects both of us, by eliminating any surprises.)
- Contract and downpayment: 50% of purchase price (non-refundable) is due upon signing.
- During development stage, I will supply you with photos and running commentary regarding the piece, so you will be kept apprised of its progress and feel a part of its creation. .
- As the initial rough sculpting phase moves along, we will “meet” (virtually or in person) twice to discuss the sculpture's progress You, the collector, are allowed to request up to 2 changes from the original design in regards to position (ie, move a leg/foot, angle of body, change of tail, wing, or head position), without additional charges.
- Upon approval at second meeting, no structural alterations will be made once final detailing work is begun.
- Final approval of finished sculpture is required before molds are made. (If not approved, either party may cancel the contract, without further financial obligation.)
- When wax chasing is complete, 25% of purchase price is due to Artist before the piece will be sent to the foundry.
- Once the bronze is cast, the raw bronze will move on to the Metal Chaser for chasing and welding. From there the bronze will go to the Patineur for its patina.
- The final 25% of the purchase price is due to Artist before shipment of finished piece occurs.
* Note- What you will need to decide (and maybe it will be a combination of the two factors), is do you want to approach this project by dimension or budget? (If budget is most important for you, that will obviously limit size.) While I prefer to work life size, I can go in either direction according to your needs for physical size, space available, or esthetics.
As we begin the project and as the piece progresses, I will supply you with photos and running commentary regarding the piece, so you will be kept apprised of its progress and truly be an active part of its creation.
So let’s put our heads together, and see is we can make our individual visions meld into a stunning sculptural treasure that will bring you joy and happiness for years to come!